Thursday, March 18, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

Okay, credit to allrecipes.com - I am wondering if I should just link to this one, because I think I used this recipe directly, without changes.  If you want to see the original, it's called Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread.

So, 2 things.  Yes, it's amazingly easy, and yes, it's amazingly delicious.  Okay, and the best comments EVER on this one.  Gotta love those comments.

Ingredients:
4 C white flour (you can substitute some wheat in there, but it makes it heavier, so not too too much)
4 Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 C) butter, softened (okay, I changed to butter from margarine)
1 C buttermilk
1 egg

Glaze
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 C buttermilk

Preheat oven at 450 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add butter, and mix in well.  I used my hands.  You can use a pastry cutter or fork too.  Then add the buttermilk and egg.  Mix well.  Make into a ball, and put out on lightly floured counter.  Kneed a couple times.  Put the dough on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Slice an X across the top with a knife.  Glaze with the butter mixture.  Bake until pretty brown at 450, about 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on it.  Lower to 350 to finish.  Check with a toothpick, to see if it comes out clean.  About 45 minutes plus or minus 10.

Jib Jab
This was so delicious.  Perfect crusty outside, soft inside and so tasty.  I could/should have doubled it.  Not one big loaf, but 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment