Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mashed Kohlrabi and Carrots

I made this recipe before, or something like it and it was delicious.  The kohlrabi has a really full flavor, and the carrots add a sweetness to the whole thing.  In this recipe I used fresh dill because I had it.  In hindsight, I think I would go with a sweeter herb next time.  Other than the dill, which is tasty, it's pretty sweet tasting!  To be honest, I really didn't want to cook, but I had already peeled and diced the kohlrabi a couple days ago. I didn't want them to not get used, so, I boiled them in water, and threw in some carrots, about 4 small ones diced.  Did you notice the background?  It was getting later and I wanted natural light, so I took the picture on my ipe river...so I call it.  It's my patio with a wood river/bridge.  Anyway, here's the recipe.

Makes about 6 servings

6 small kohlrabi, peeled and diced (I used organic, from my CSA, not sure what others taste like.)
4 small carrots, cleaned and diced (I used organic.  Makes a huge difference.)
4 Tbsp butter
Dill, fresh, chopped, or maybe try cardamom or nutmeg or something (I used dill, but next time I am going the sweet direction)
Salt and Pepper

I boiled the veggies for 14 minutes, drained, then added the butter, and mashed.  You don't have to mash all the way.  I sprinkled the dill in, and then garnished on top.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Jib Jab
So, I had a huge amount of kohlrabis, turns out it filled a whole large yogurt container, I think that's a quart, for your reference.  It's probably about 3 to 1 kohlrabi to carrots.  Anyway, I also made a kohlrabi fritter, which was really good.  Another kind of inspired and seat of the pants recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Thanks for the wonderful kohlrabi recipe. I featured it on my blog:

    http://www.colorfulcanary.com/2015/05/kohlwhat-10-wonderful-ways-to-eat.html

    ReplyDelete